Monday, December 15, 2014

Potosi and Pie

"Christians should put survival of the planet ahead of national security," Henri once told an interviewer. "Here is the mystery of our global responsibility: that we are in communion with Christ--and we are in communion with all people....The fact that people of Nicaragua, Guatemala, El Salvador, Russia, Afghanistan, and Ethiopia are our brothers and sisters is not obvious. People kill each other by the thousands and do not see themselves as brothers and sisters. If we want to be real peacemakers (Christians), national security cannot be our primary concern. Our primary concern should be survival of humanity, the survival of the planet, and the health of all people. Whether we are Russians, Iraqis, Ethiopians, or North Americans, we belong to the same human family that God loves. And we have to start taking some risks--not just individually, but risks of a more global quality, risks to let other people develop their own independence, risks to share our wealth with others and invite refugees to our country, risks to offer sanctuary--because we are people of God"--Henri Nouwen, "Priest Led from Ivy League to 'Answer Call' at l'Arche,"The Saturday Windsor Star, October 14, 1998

El Cerro Rico in Potosi, Bolivia; this mountain has underwent extraction since the 16th century and continues to be mined today.

A week ago, I visited my friend and fellow Seeder, Rebekah, at her placement in Potosi. Potosi sits at 4,090 meters above sea level, which doesn't allow for easy walking throughout the city for those that are not accustom to the elevation. The center of the city is beautiful, featuring colonial streets and historic churches. I walked around the city one afternoon, and I soon found the divide between the rich elite that live in the center to the poorer citizens that live on the fringes. The income gap is readily visible in Potosi due to the size of the city, unlike Cochabamba's sprawling cityscape.

After reading the above quote in the introduction of a book by Henri Nouwen, I started thinking about my visit to Potosi, and the responsibility that Christians have in loving our neighbors. In Cochabamba, I can pass by people begging for money everyday. They are my neighbors, they are people of God, and they represent the face of Jesus. A large majority of the "beggars" are from rural parts of Potosi. They are recognizable by their traditional clothing. They are generally female mothers and have two to three children at their side. My coworkers have explained to me that these rural folks that come to the city are generally selected by their rural community to beg for money in the city. They usually have little pots with food and other supplies to live on during the day; who is providing this food? I have been told that some have family here that provide room and board. I can't speak for all that beg in the street, but I think I can say that all have a marred identity. And those that have children with them are creating marred identities for their children. Some have chosen this life, and even call it a job, because it might seem easier or they might actually make more money. What I think about is the condition of their souls.  

How can we help these unfortunate souls? I don't think giving them money is the answer. Giving them money just keeps them where they are at. Some people have suggested talking to them, and others suggest giving food. Also, prayer is a powerful tool in this situation (all situations :). 

Back to Potosi:

Spending time with Rebekah and learning more about her placement provided me insight into her difficulties and struggles that I couldn't have acquired without having visited her. We discussed topics ranging from our vacation plans to theology. 

The weather in Potosi is very beautiful during this time of year, which is a stark difference compared to the majority of the year. Combined with the high altitude and lack of central heating in most houses, Potosi is very unforgivable place to live. Climate change has brought milder winters to the area, but the bitter cold is still felt. The center of Potosi was designed to stop strong winds from sweeping through. 

The curvature of the streets is more noticeable in other parts of the city, but this photo illustrates the idea well enough.

During my stay in Potosi, I was able to meet a few of Rebekah's friends, and I was also able to attend her church. We shared a pizza dinner together, and spoke of our upcoming Christmas plans. One morning we made a trip to the "Ojo del Inca" or "Eye of the Inca", which is a 22 meter deep hot spring that is an average of 90 degrees Fahrenheit. 

 "Ojo del Inca" near Potosi, Bolivia. 

I returned to Cochabamba for a short work week, and two Christmas dinners with my coworkers from my local NGO and the NGO from the USA. Unfortunately, the Christmas dinner with the Seed project wasn't complete because three of the workers were not able to come due to work conflicts. I made an apple pie, while the others made a delicious chicken dish and a Guatemalan punch. By the end we could barely move! 

Delicious apple pie!! 

I finish my last week of work before Christmas vacation with a visit to the communities surround Mizque and Aiquile. I wish you all a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!!! 





1 comment:

  1. I have a bunch of Nouwen's books if you want to borrow some.

    ReplyDelete